Iain is a commercial lawyer and provides specialist advice in relation to franchising, licensing, distribution and intellectual property.
Iain has assisted vendors and purchasers in relation to share and business asset sale and purchase transactions with purchase prices ranging between approximately $100,000 to $100 million.
In addition to transactional matters, Iain provides commercial advice to clients in a number of industry sectors in relation to the following:
- establishing companies, trusts and other business structures including preparing shareholder documents
- business succession and estate planning
- corporate governance including company procedures and directors duties
- commercial contracts including services agreements, manufacturing and distribution agreements, shareholders agreements, terms and conditions of supply, asset leases, sponsorship agreements and guarantees
- competition and consumer law including misleading and deceptive conduct, anti-competitive conduct, statutory warranties/guarantees and other aspects of the Australian Consumer Law, and
- personal property securities law.
Clients describe Iain as a “true leader in the franchise legal market”
– Who’s Who Legal (Franchise)
Iain regularly advises clients on Australian and international franchising, licensing and distribution. He has assisted a number of Australian franchisors with establishment and operation of their franchise systems including advising on resolution of disputes with franchisees. He also advises clients on acquisition of competing brands.
Iain has previously worked in the USA advising a number of established US brands on licensing into foreign jurisdictions including in the EU, Asia and the Middle East. He continues to assist foreign counsel with franchising and distribution into Australia.
Iain advises clients on intellectual property rights and commercialisation as well as IT and online legal issues including privacy, social media, trademark and domain name issues, and web-related contracts.