Richard Anderson is a Special Counsel in our Commercial Property & Development team.
Richard is an experienced senior lawyer with significant commercial property and infrastructure project experience, drawn from his most recent role as General Counsel at VicTrack and from his former roles as a Partner and Special Counsel at other leading national firms.
During his career, Richard has been involved in several commercial and residential property developments, urban and waterfront renewal projects, infrastructure projects, major commercial leasing transactions (acting for both landlord and tenant), major commercial and hotel acquisitions and disposals and retirement village acquisitions and developments.
Richard has previously acted for several State and local government agencies, as in-house counsel or as an external adviser, including VicTrack, Development Victoria, the former Port of Melbourne Corporation, NBNCo, the Victorian and Tasmanian Departments of Treasury and Finance and Devonport City Council, and major property developers and users such as Mirvac, Lend Lease and Coles Supermarkets.
In particular, Richard has played a key part of several significant property-related matters, including providing strategic and legal advice in relation to the:
- agreement for lease and lease for NBNCo’s Melbourne office at Collins Square
- sale of Treasury Square by VicTrack – involving areas of at-grade and airspace land over and surrounded by an operational rail corridor
- $12 billion redevelopment of the Melbourne Docklands including the Media House development in airspace over the active rail network, the ANZ headquarters on Collins Street and the New Quay and Waterfront City developments
- development of the new third international container terminal at the Port of Melbourne
- Parliament Square Redevelopment Project in Hobart and the Living City project in Devonport
- $130 million acquisition of the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, and
- delivery of numerous rail commuter car park projects and station upgrade projects in metropolitan and regional areas of Victoria.
Richard is an outcome-focused lawyer who takes a pragmatic and commercial approach to matters based on his understanding of his client’s specific needs. He seeks to appropriately allocate risk and minimise costs and hazards for his clients by providing timely advice at an early stage of a transaction. Richard has an innate ability to deal with problems as and when they arise to effectively manage workloads and client expectations. This leaves Richard particularly well placed to navigate the issues presented in order achieve arrangements commercially acceptable to all parties.