Michael is a Senior Associate with our Workplace Relations & OHS team, and practices all aspects of employment and workplace relations law. Prior to joining KHQ, Michael was a Senior Associate at a leading medium-sized law firm based in Melbourne, where he headed its Employment & Workplace Relations practice for a number of years, and also advised on a broad range of commercial/transactional matters.
Michael has experience acting for clients in a diverse range of industry sectors including consulting, recruitment, IT services, construction, mining, transport & logistics, retail & supply, manufacturing and education.
Michael’s areas of expertise include:
- All aspects of employment law;
- Industrial relations, including enterprise bargaining, approvals and disputes;
- Terminations, including the planning of termination of employment strategies;
- Employment litigation, including adverse action, unfair dismissal and contractual disputes;
- Performance management strategies and workplace investigations;
- Employment contracts and workplace policies;
- Restructuring, redundancies and transmission of business;
- Post-employment restraints, confidentiality and IP obligations;
- Employee share option plans and bonus schemes;
- Fair Work Act and Award/Agreement compliance, interpretation and enforcement;
- Employee entitlements and FWO investigations;
- Discrimination and EEO;
- OH & S;
- Workplace training; and
- Commercial/transactional advisory, agreements and disputation – including shareholder disputes.
Clients respect Michael’s sound, practical legal solutions and his commercial approach to all matters. He regularly appears at the Fair Work Commission, in State and Federal courts, VCAT and in other jurisdictions. He is a member of the Industrial Relations Society of Victoria, and has published various articles online and in legal journals, and regularly provides updates on ‘hot topics’ in employment and workplace relations matters.